We're looking for you.
More specifically, we're looking for excellent, well-rounded booksellers to join the Deep Vellum team. We're a tight-knit team of readers, artists, musicians, and cultural advocates who put in the blood, sweat, and tears to nurture a community of accessible books & culture here in Dallas.
At Deep Vellum Books, our booksellers are the people who sell books, coffee, and other merchandise to customers, both on the retail floor and online. As a bookseller, you are the outward heartbeat of the organization; we rely on your expertise and advice for the myriad of requests and expressed needs made by our customers day in and day out and we expect a strong performance-oriented, upbeat, and enthusiastic person to excel in the role.
- Welcome customers as they enter the store & specifically ask if they need help
- Answer customer questions as accurately as possible
- Provide customers with additional information & insight about specific books, authors, translators, illustrators, publishers, et cetera
- Provide customers with suggestions based on their interests
- Keep a list of any specific book, author, translator, illustrator, or publisher asked about or desired by a customer, especially those not in stock.
- Sell books, merchandise, and cafe items to the customer
- Take payments for items sold via the point-of-sale system
- Ensure customer is aware of any and all promotions currently running in the store
- Make customer notes about particular wants, needs, or information via point-of-sale system
- Fulfill web-based orders by responding in a prompt manner; send out books via the mail system within twenty-four hours of receiving the order (if items are in stock)
- Maintain a deep, extensive knowledge of current inventory
- Review sales performance metrics to ensure goals are met
- Maintain the outward appearance of the store by completing daily and weekly cleaning tasks
- Passion for serving customers to create, cultivate, and deepen relationships
- Requisite love for books, writing, art, music, and culture
- Innate ability to multi-task and triage priorities
- Top-notch communication skills
- Computer-savvy and digital native
- Inherent desire to learn, read, and do what is best for you, our customer, AND the bookstore
- Proven sales experience, ideally in lifestyle retail
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Education, experience, or training involving topics in language, literature, or culture
If this is you, we want to talk. Send us an email [careers at deepvellum dot com] with your resume & answers to the following questions:
- What are you currently reading (and why?)
- What do you recommend for us to carry that may not already be on the shelf (and why?)
- Your favorite book (and why) from:
- the 21st Century
- African, Asian, or Latin American Literature
- a Woman of Color